Hello home!

So yesterday I was in three countries... we drove to Torino, and this took us from Switzerland, through France (we got out to say that we had been on french soil... also drove through mount blanc... that was expensive), till we finally got to italy. Italian drivers frighten me a little. A lot of honking and hand gestures. plus the parallel parking is crazy tight, leaving about half a foot between cars on either side. i'm just very thankful i wasn't driving.

We left early in the morning, and drove for about 3 1/2 hours one way. not very long in my books, but around here that's not considered a typical day trip. we saw so many beautiful buildings, a little bit of the Italian culture, and enjoyed some great coffee and conversation.

My "coffee-view" (i think Brittney H. has been here... was a bit weirded out about the thought that people from niverville have been in this place before):

Elaborate Catholic church in Torino:


Lenneke ignoring the social norms:


Thiery trying to figure out where we are (i think his style of navigation is just drive until things "look right" - it worked though!):

Our calling from God:
This last week I also had the pleasure of going to mcdonalds... I found it pretty interesting to pay 3.50 francs for a small fries.

They had the inside decorated like a sit-down semi-expensive restaurant, complete with large flatscreen t.v.s and chocolate brown/beige paint tones. it made me laugh and think of dall's (mel?)

This is david quittezing mcdonalds. he paid 2 frances for one apple pie



I think the place we went to was Nyon... the alps in the background and lake geneva here (Johnny, David, Brittney, Cynthia):


So its been busy... i also wrote a "3" page essay on what I believe... it's harder than you think. made a concordance with verses that have been important to me... and a few other things. i'm so sad when i think that our time is almost up here... it's gone by far too fast and I'm not sure I want to leave, but maybe it's best that i go before i'm sick of switzerland so that i only have good memories.

this saturday i'm planning on meeting up with stefan, a staffer from my dts, in basel, and afterwards i'll be taking the train to amsterdam to see linda. pray for me that i can get my act together with the train-ticket business... i'm a little nervous about travelling by myself. love you guys!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing trip. I'm so glad you have this opportunity. Jerry's been to many of these places in the past but now we have been slowing down a lot in our travels. So I may not see them in person, but can experience them in part through you. Thank you.
Love you!
Mom

Roo said...

crystal -- not only has brittney h. been to the place in the photo so has ruthie a. ---aka ruthie bergen. :) xo

Keanan said...

beautiful pics. and STEFAN FROM VANCOUVER?!? if that's the one, tell him i say hi...i don't know if he'd remember us from 2007. i tried his e-mail but i haven't ever gotten a response...that's so cool!

Anonymous said...

Hey Crystal! You are getting to see some amazing things - stuff that most of us can only dream of. Let me know your travel dates and I will be especially praying for you during that time. Can't wait to see your beautiful face here at home again...but in the meantime, squeeze all you can out of every day and every experience!
Hugs,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

hi crystal... good to read your blog. I wrote a letter to u yesterday but when i was done, i realized u would be gone from Swit. by the time it arrived so i'll put it on your desk!! We tried to call u yesterday but i guess no one was there to answer the ph. have a great trip! love and prayers marge xoxoxo

Stephanie said...

Hey Crystal...I've been stalking you on your blog reading about your adventures ; ) Glad to hear that it's been a good/stretching experience for you!
Is that guy in the picture in front of Lake Geneva wearing an FSM sweater from IHOP-KC? That is so cool, if it is! Blessings!

JuliaD said...

beautiful pics. and i'm sure you'll be fine travelling by yourself. everyone out here speaks english anyways. but i understand the nerves...been there. :)

Becky said...

wow..how fun! Some day I need to go there!